The daily struggles and affirmations of faith as I learn to reorient my life around the tenets of the faith including service, joy and detachment.

Saturday, November 17, 2007

New Beginnings

Hello to all who stumble here.

The goal of this blog is one based in self exploration (as of all blogs). The last couple months and a half of my life have been turbulent to say the least. I have experienced my biggest downs, but have found the capacity to reorient my life around something much more powerful: God. In particular, God seen through the lens of the Baha'i faith.

Therefore, my blog is going to be as forward looking as possible. I do not wish to dwell on the past shortcomings and heartbreaking moments of my life, unless they can help me learn something new or gain a new appreciation. Undoubtedly, my current thought processes and actions are shaped by what has occurred in my immediate past, but if I allow myself to be bogged down in the anxieties and dwellings of what could have been or what it all means, I will fall victim to my past.

Suffice it to say, that the past is the past, with all its imperfections and I accept it. I am powerless to change any of it therefore I must turn it over with all its imperfections to God. However, I am able to change my perceptions and beliefs about the past and present and for that I pray for courage.

I came to the Baha'i faith in a period of time when calamities and anxieties filled my head and crippled the essence of my being. I am not completely out of the water yet, but I hope that through prayer and maybe even these posts (which are much more for me than you) that I can come to a greater understanding of where I have been and where I am going.

The Baha'i faith has provided me a new path to change everything from my thought patterns, to my actions, to my future ambitions. However, it all starts with faith. Faith and love in believing that Bah'a'ullah was the most recent prophet of God. All things spring from this. And I truly do believe in Baha'u'llah as a manifestation of God, after many study circles, prayer meetings and readings.

However, becoming a completely faithful Baha'i does not happen over night. Hence, I hope other new believers and those interested in the faith can find solace in the struggles that are bound to fill the following posts.

I am going to end every post with a prayer. This is my favorite that has been very powerful over the past month, by Abdul Baha


O' God. Refresh and Gladden My Spirit. Purify My Heart, Illumine My Powers. I lay all my affairs in thy hands. Thou art my Guide and Refuge. I will no longer be sorrowful and grieved. I will be a happy and joyful being. O God, I will no longer be full of anxiety nor will I let trouble harass me. I will not dwell on the unpleasant things of life. Oh God, Thou art more friend to me than I am to myself. I dedicate myself to thee o lord.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

With your permission I would like to excerpt from this wonderful post on Baha'i Views and link.

Baby Baha'i said...

Please feel free Mr Wesley. I have read some of your blog. It is great!

GWD said...

Welcome to the Community of Baha!

I have re-posted this evening on Baha'i Views.

child_of_africa said...

hello hello... i stumbled here and wanted to add my welcomes to you as you embark on your journey. i have found blogging to be a very important tool for my own growth and self reflection :)